Saturday, March 27, 2010

Ukulele Crazy

For those of you who may be musically inclined and might want to try something different during a visit to the BI, I%26#39;ll share some of my experiences during my visit.





One of my goals during my visit to the Island last week was search for an ukulele. I saw some very nice looking ones at the farmer%26#39;s market during my last visit, but knew nothing about them, so decided to do a bit of research before this visit. I found a nice shop in Kealakekua called Just Ukes. Their inventory was down a bit but they had several high end ukes and a good selection of Kalas. A little further up the road is Sam Rosen%26#39;s Holualoa Ukulele Gallery. He teaches ukulele making and has several of his student%26#39;s ukes on display and for sale. He also has a website. In Kailua Kona there%26#39;s Soundwave Music with a very large inventory and also the Music Exchange. The latter is in the King Kameamea Mall and appears to beat all internet pricing that I%26#39;ve seen. (I should never have gone in. I bought more ukulele than my current level of skill can support.)





Every Wednesday there%26#39;s a Kanikipila in the Keauhoa Shopping Center just off Alii Dr from 6:00 to 8:00 PM. There%26#39;s a varying assortment of local amateur players who are very friendly. They welcome newcomers and are very non-threatening in their format of play. (A big difference from a Bluegrass or Old Time Jam) Info can be found on konaweb.com in the Big Island Music Events page. There are links to the songs they play if you%26#39;d like to prepare beforehand. The webmaster there, incidentally, is KonaBob, inventor and maker of the Walking Bass. He can be found at the session either playing the bass or his self-made lapsteel guitar.





I only skimmed the surface of the uke scene, so will have to polish my skills before my next visit.





Don



Ukulele Crazy


%26lt;I bought more ukulele than my current level of skill can support.)%26gt;





Of course! Buy an instrument that%26#39;s better than you are, and your skill can grow into it! It%26#39;s very difficult to improve your skill past the capability of your instrument to reflect it. You did the right thing--happy practicing...



Ukulele Crazy


Don - I%26#39;m addicted to strings - I have to say, will be following closely on your heels in a few weeks. Already been in touch with Kona Bob, we want some hands on with that walking bass (he said he would give me some tips for my lapsteel while we%26#39;re at it). Holuloa Ukelele gallery, is on the inenerary as well as the Keauhou performances and doggone it we will miss the Mele Ohana group by one day!



Have to see John Keawe at least once and another nice man who I shall not insult by mispelling his name.



Giving serious consideration to traveling with our ukes, but it%26#39;s still a debate. We go into withdrawals without our instruments, so we quench our souls by using our ears while on the islands.



Have fun with your uke and enjoy yourself - that%26#39;s the whole point.





Sounds like you had a wonderful trip, thanks for all the great info.




Okay, and I%26#39;ll top what DonABQ notes--even if you%26#39;re *not* musically inclined, give some serious thought to learning ukulele while in Hawaii. You%26#39;ll find a number of hotels, timeshares, stores and farmers%26#39; markets offer free lessons to folks who%26#39;d just like to try playing.





On the Big Island specifically, join up with a group at the Kona International Marketplace for an 11 am to noon free lesson on Fridays (konainternationalmarket.com/events.html) with Uncle Willie Pereira. Free lessons are also offered from 11:30 am to 1:30 pm at the Queens%26#39; Shops on Mondays. Bring an ukulele.





The Wednesday night gathering, now at Keahou Shopping Center, began up at Sam Rosen%26#39;s place in Holualoa and outgrew the garage used for kani ka pila. Anyone is welcome to attend and join in the fun--or just come to watch. There are almost always some dancers as well--it%26#39;s a great way to experience the island aloha!





And, LesRose, I can%26#39;t imagine *not* bringing my little soprano ukulele when I go to Hawaii. I spend hours each visit on the lana%26#39;i, strumming and singing Hawaiian songs while enjoying the sounds of the rustling palm fronds and the waves below me.




BTW prolly the best uke player on the planet will be in Hilo and Kona in May 17 %26amp; 18 :)





http://www.jakeshimabukuro.com/?t=tour




We will be in Maui and Kauai in late June/July for my son%26#39;s graduation present. He plays and would LOVE to get a ukulele while we are there. Any ideas on places on these islands that would have quality instruments at a decent price?



Thanks!




Ukalady - I like the way you think! Sounds like my kind of evening. Last year we were entertained at SeaTac by a group of traveling teens - we were all delayed and they gathered in the floor and jammed - it was soooo hard not to run home and fetch ours, but it sure put us in the mood for Hawaii.





We are thinking it over - going to be rather mobile this trip, but nothing like cradling that sweet ukelele in your arms and making it sing! Mine is a soprano also, DH%26#39;s a tenor.



If anyone is interested in Slack Key Guitar - On most Fridays, Don Kauli%26#39;a teaches slack key guitar at 4pm at Kona International Marketplace.





TJ - I hate to miss Jake! I will miss a few that I would love to see perform. Brittany Paiva is a gal can sure play a mean ukelele, too.




roadtripdeb - There are a couple of choices for you, depending on wher you will be staying either should be excellent sources



The Ukulele Store, 5330 Koloa Road -



Koloa, Kauai, Hawaii 96756 808-822-4181 (a new store owned by son of the owner of Larry%26#39;s Music



4-1310 Kuhio Hwy - Kapaa, Kauai, Hawaii 96746





When you get back home don%26#39;t forget the Live Aloha Festival in Seattle on September 13




I could really use an edit button!!!



Should be able to decipher it though (I hope)




On Maui, Bounty Music has an incredible selection at great prices.





Don




roadtripdeb - on Maui you can buy one in Kahului at Bounty Music,



in Lahaina at Lahaina Music Store 910 Honoapiilani Hwy. #9 West Maui Center Lahaina, Maui, Hawaii 96761 808-661-7625



, or in Kula at Grimes Guitar Company



1520 Kamehameiki Road, Kula, HI 96790





Mele Ukuleles:1750 Kaahumanu Avenue Wailuku, Hawaii 96793 (808)244-3938


  • eye color
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment