Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Pats at Punaluu

People keep asking about Pat’s at Punaluu. I can offer some detailed information from having stayed at Pats off and on over many years, most recently in November of 2008. The main building has recently undergone major repair and facelift. The building was a mess during the repairs and I chose to stay elsewhere until the renovation was completed.





Pat’s has several types of vacation units. I’ve stayed in every type of unit there except for the penthouses but I have been invited into a few. The right side of the complex is mainly made up of larger 1 bedroom units. The left side is mostly made up of studios, but they are usually referred to as 1 bedroom units because the sleeping area is not in the main living area. The top 2 floors are the penthouse units and they range from a 1 bedroom unit to large 2-story, 3 bedroom units with beautiful views. There are 3 sets of separate 4-plex cottages on the lawn adjacent to the condos. Cottages- These are quaint, older wood frame construction. The upper floor units do not have lanais. The bottom units have covered concrete lanais. They are all about 500 sq ft and are studios. These units are closest to the beach and in front of the condo building.





The main condo building ground floor units all have concrete slab lanais that lead out onto the lawn or pathways and this makes for easy beach access. For me, the down side is that people can walk past and can see into condos. Some ground floor units have obstructed views so ask the owner or manager for a photo of the view from their lanai. I like fresh air when I sleep so leaving the sliding glass door open on the lanai becomes a security issue at bed time. I try to avoid booking ground floor condos no matter where I travel because I have to close and lock everything up when I sleep or leave for any reason.





2nd floors- There are large overhangs from the parking garage on the front side and an overhang from the larger beach side lanais on the 3rd floor units. Same thing, some have an obstructed view so ask. I stayed in a 2nd floor unit and I prefer to be in a higher unit. I find the 1st and 2nd floor units dark, stuffy feeling.





3rd floors- The large 1 bedroom condos have nice big lanais. There are solid concrete walls on the lanais. There is no see through metal railing like with the other floors. If you are sitting down inside the 3rd floor condo you will not be looking out at the ocean, you’ll be looking out at a wall. Stand and you see the ocean, sit and you see concrete. The smaller 3rd floor studio/1 bedroom condos may have obstructed views. I prefer to rent a condo on the 4th floor or higher. I’m there to see some blue!





4th through PH floors- Each lanai becomes narrower as you move up each floor. These condos should all have unobstructed ocean views. The penthouse units have the narrowest lanais. Corner units have the great bonus of views on two sides and good ventilation. PH units range in size from a 1 bedroom up to 2-story units that have up to 3 bedrooms.





I have stayed in units all over Pat%26#39;s, everything from very basic, older with no remodeling done, to all new total renovations. I prefer not staying in a ground floor or 2nd floor unit. There is a massive roofed garage overhang and you will hear people walking and talking outside the ground floor units, hear cars starting, smell vehicle fumes and give up some privacy. That huge overhung roof traps smells and amplifies noises from the parking area. The ground floor bedrooms are right next to the parking garage and pedestrian walkways. I also like being away from the pool. The pool is nothing to write home about and the work out room still needs updating.





Renting at Pat%26#39;s is confusing. You could luck into something great or get stuck with something not so great and anything in between. Many Pat%26#39;s rentals are competing at a similar price point so ask questions and look carefully at the photos. This is why there are so many mixed reviews on the place. The good gets thrown in with the ordinary and not so great and the prices don%26#39;t differ very much. It is each owners personal taste and budget for outfitting the rental. The large 1 bedroom unit may rent for the same as the smaller 1 bedroom or studio unit but it could something not updated in years and have limited views. You could rent a beautifully renovated place or a disaster and not realize this until you open the door so choose carefully. One penthouse might be decked out to the max and another full of old 2nd hand hotel furnishings.





The building is mixed use. During winter there are lots of bargain hunters looking to escape from cold climates. There are long term residents and renters mixed in with short stay vacationers.





The prices for being on a nice beach are a bargain. The countryside and the ocean are beautiful. The beach is never crowded. There is a little convenience store nearby for supplies. It rains here more than some other areas of Oahu but late morning and afternoons are usually sunny and evenings nice. It’s a relaxed, old time Hawaiian atmosphere. It’s not an exciting place but it’s priced right for beachfront and the surroundings are gorgeous. The best part is that it isn%26#39;t Waikiki. I enjoy Waikiki but I also like to get away from the mobs and that is the best reason for staying at Pat%26#39;s and other areas of the Oahu north shore.



Pats at Punaluu


My husband and I ahve already booked our return trip to Pat%26#39;s for May of next year. Last year we were on the 6th floor, this year we have rented a 1 bedroom end unit penthouse.





I just loved this place. I have read the reivews as well, a mixed bag, as it seems some people don%26#39;t bother to do the research before they book. If you have any hesitation, ask the owner for references from past guest that you may contact, additional recent (date stamped) photos of the condo. If you are going to spend the money, make sure you know what you are getting. When my husband and I walked into our unit last year, I was thrilled. It was clean, nicely renovated and I felt right at home.





It really is a great place, especially for the price, but you have to do your research. Don%26#39;t assume that since it costs a bit more that it is going to be nicer and don%26#39;t just look at a cheap price, because sometimes you get what you pay for. Research, research, research!!!





But the beach is just so totally awesome and it%26#39;s great to be away from crowded, touristy Waikiki.



Pats at Punaluu


If it is the one that I think it is (is the owners name Damien?) then you%26#39;ll be thrilled Tish, it%26#39;s a knockout. I believe his is the only 1 bedroom PH condo.




Lots of good info Amy. We are booked in #715 for March, hope it%26#39;s not a dud. The keeper seemed helpful during all of our inquiries.



This part of the island doesn%26#39;t seem to get a lot of attention therefore not a lot of specific posts.



Our family doesn%26#39;t really get involved with the typical tourist activities. We can be entertained for hours exploring the coastline and tide pools.



Are there any trails on this side of the island? They don%26#39;t have to lead to spectacular waterfalls. Just simple flora and fauna.



Good travels everyone.




I like the Hauula Loop trail. It%26#39;s close to where you%26#39;ll be staying and it%26#39;s rated easy to moderate. Some of the guides downplay the risk and difficulty factors involved. There are lots of trails with high difficulty on the island. If I feel like a good easy walk I go to Turtle Bay Resort and walk their trails that go along the golf courses and beaches. Try the one to Kawela Bay, it%26#39;s beautiful.





If you visit hawaiiweb.com there is a section with Oahu trails and some photos. You could order some hiking guides to Oahu online at places like Amazon. There are lots of trail reviews you can find for free online.





A few words of advice though, don%26#39;t hike when it%26#39;s been raining heavily and bring mosquito repellent. Stay on the marked trails. Hawaii seems to lose a few hikers every year unfortunately.




Yes, that is the condo we have booked for next year. The last visit we stayed there in a condo owned by Betty Knake and we loved it too, but Damien gave us a great price.





I%26#39;m glad to know it%26#39;s a great place. The photos are good and Damien was nice on the phone as well. By chance do you know if there are any wi-fi hotspots in the area? I don%26#39;t know how I%26#39;ll live without checking my email every so often!





-Tish




Thank you all for the information and opinions. Any advice on nearby restaurants?



Also, would links to favored websites be possible?




My husband and I really enjoyed eating at both Haleiwa Joes and Kua Aina Sandiches (burgers, etc...doesn%26#39;t take credit cards) in Hale%26#39;iwa. We also had a fabulous dinner one night at the Breakers (I had a macadamia nut crusted Mahi-Mahi with a pineapple, coconut cream sauce that was so good I%26#39;d sell my sould for another plate), also in Haleiwa, but the next time we went, it was only so-so with service slow enough to make a snail sigh in exasperation. I may give it one more shot, though...





There is a foodland grocery store in Laie, a short drive up the road, so you can make meals in your rental condo. We usually had lunch at our place. We enjoyed breakfast at the Hukilau Cafe in Laie, as well. Huge pancakes, one order easily feeds two people. Ted%26#39;s Bakery up on the North Shore was good as well and we occasionally grabbed Malasadas (portugese donuts) in the morning on the way back from our early treks out at sunrise.





There are also the MANY roadside shrimp trucks and a few roadside fruit stands. On the way back from an outing we would stop and buy ice cold baggies of fresh coconut and sliced pineapple...so very refreshing after a warm day.




hi Tish....



Do you think not having airconditioning will be a problem at Pat%26#39;s....I have been thinking of renting



damiens condo.



Thanks




The unit I stayed in the last time (on the 6th floor) didn%26#39;t have air conditioning and I didn%26#39;t even notice. I am from Central Florida, where the heat starts up in April and the summers are hotter than Satan%26#39;s armpit. I am addicted to my A/C unit from May to October. Since the condo building is right on the ocean and gets such fabulous trade winds, all you need to do is have your patio door open and you will get wonderful breezes, not to mention you%26#39;ll have ceiling fans to keep the air circulated (i believe his units have fans). We were there in April and I didn%26#39;t miss a moment of A/C. I used to live in Hawaii back in the 70%26#39;s and we never had an A/c unit in our house. We never needed it.





Damien%26#39;s unit is also an end unit with wrap around balcony, so you would get great cross breezes I would imagine. I am SOOOO ready for my vacation...Only 5 more months!!!




Hi again Tish...



Was wondering about the pool at Pat%26#39;s.



Did you use it while you were there?



Did you also swim in the ocean there?



I was there for dinner 22 years ago..on mothers day



We enjoyed the meal very much.



I remember how much i liked the north shore area....



back then, and that is why i want to stay there this trip. I hope I am right about this. I was also looking at the turtle bay condos on the golf course, but the reviews are mixed on that complex also. did you go up to that area at all?



Thanks for your help


  • la mer
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment