Saturday, March 27, 2010

Hike: Secret Tunnel to North Shore

Please let me know if you have ever done this hike. How strenuous is it? Is it worth it? Do I need to bring any special gear from home to do it (i.e. hiking poles, head lamps, etc.)?





Thanks!



Hike: Secret Tunnel to North Shore


kwils11: Do you know anything about this?



Hike: Secret Tunnel to North Shore


I%26#39;ve never done this hike, but I know it isn%26#39;t a walk in the park! It takes a while to get there, then it%26#39;s about a mile through the first tunnel. It may be wet, muddy, and slippery. You can probably find a walking-type stick somewhere, and you%26#39;ll definitely need a flashlight. Once you get through the first part, you can hang out there or continue on to the second tunnel - which is an even tougher hike. But! You%26#39;re treated to some truly amazing scenery and waterfalls. I would also bring mosquito repellent.




If you decide to do this hike, please post your thoughts on it afterwards. My husband really wanted to do it but I felt like the directions weren%26#39;t very clear and we would end up lost. We did a lot of hiking but in the end we ruled this one out. Maybe a mistake? Have fun.




I have done the secret tunnel hike in Kauai. It is about 7 miles round trip, and it is extremly difficult due to the mud, the rain, the tunnel, the water, and the bushes.



Here is an overview of this on my blog with photos and details of the trip:


stevestedman.com/entry/050416-114333/Kauai_T…



or if that link is too long, try http://stevestedman.com and search on tunnel.




Steve, I LOVED that site you have with the pics! Can%26#39;t believe you did that hike with an 8 year old! My own 8 year old would have liked an adventure like that, but his ';stick in the mud'; little sister wouldn%26#39;t have stood up to the rigors of the hike, or worse, the ';icky'; MUD. Thanks for sharing!!





kwils, congrats on the well-earned ';local expert'; title!! It%26#39;s about time!! You%26#39;ve helped a LOT of folks, me included!!




Aloha Steve... A marvelous account of your family%26#39;s -trails- and tribulations geocaching in Kauai. Enjoyed your photos so much. What joy in your children%26#39;s eyes...wish every kid such an adventure. Mahalo for sharing all the info, including Mt. Baker.




Thank you Steve for sharing your blog.





Wow, pictures really do speak louder than words. I heard that it was muddy, but not ';your shoes will come off'; muddy. We hiked Half Dome in Yosemite a few months ago (which was worth it when we made it to the top), and I thought this would be along the same lines.





My primary reason to go would be to see the shangri-la at the end of the 2nd tunner. But, this seems like an all out adventure. If everyone had the proper shoes, do you think you would have gone to the second tunnel Steve? Do you think this is a ';must do';?




Nice blog!





I think you convinced me that I don%26#39;t want to do that hike!





We did drive to Kipu falls and found it really pretty. But we didn%26#39;t stay there too long---worried about our rental car parked on the dirt road out of our view.





I%26#39;m still trying to figure out where the good snorkeling is at Anini! We%26#39;ve gone there several times and tried lots of different places along it%26#39;s long beach, but have only seen a few fish. Have found some nice shells there, though, and the view is beautiful!




slabeaume, I%26#39;m glad you said that about Anini beach. We went there because we didn%26#39;t want to have to drive too far again and it was recommended by Snorkel Bob%26#39;s. I only saw a handful of fish and they were all very tiny except for one. Although the surf breaks far from the beach, the channel current was also very strong. I swam all over the place and couldn%26#39;t find anything good. I%26#39;m not sure what I missed here but definitely wouldn%26#39;t go back for snorkeling!




Steve, You didn%26#39;t mention much about what you saw after the tunnel. Is it worth it or do you think you have to go through the second tunnel to really get to the Shangi-La they mentioned in the book.


I%26#39;m on the fence and not sure if we should dedicate a day to this hike. We will be saying about 12 days in Kauai in August, which mey be slightly drier.


Thanks,


Steve.


  • eye color
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment