Sunday, March 28, 2010

Poipu Makai or Poipu Palms

After going back through some old threads, and seeing the disappointment that one TA%26#39;er had with Poipu Sands #434, I thought I might ask if anyone has information on Poipu Makai A2 or Poipu Palms 204. Both look lovely with lanais overlooking the ocean. I read where there is no a/c and hubby may not like that, but we%26#39;re going in October, so assuming it might be a little milder weather. Both these units are 2 bedroom, which we don%26#39;t need 2, but the price seems to be right and the views are what I want! Any information will be appreciated.



Poipu Makai or Poipu Palms


My husband stayed in Poipu Palms #204 last December with a business associate. We had planned on staying there in June but once my husband saw the place, we quickly made other plans to stay in Poipu Sands #428.





Poipu Palms is very nice and the views are incredible. But the units are extremely small. There are only about 900 sq. ft and that includes the lanai. For a couple, this will probably be fine. But for two grown men or a family of 4, it was not nearly big enough. They felt like they had no privacy and for my family, way too small.





The unit at Poipu Sands (#428) it 1400 sq. feet and two stories.





Poipu Makai is a bit larger than Poipu Palms (1100-1600 sq. Ft.) but I was not fond of the pool. For my kids, we wanted something larger and heated. Looking at the Parrish website, these units look very nice as well. They are the same price so I personally would go with the larger unit.



Poipu Makai or Poipu Palms




Aloha from Kaua%26#39;i!





Given the choice of Po%26#39;ipu Makai or Po%26#39;ipu Palms - I%26#39;d personally choose Po%26#39;ipu Palms - a lovely small condo complex with incredible ocean views. It seems a charming, cozy and less ';resorty'; place to me.





I haven%26#39;t stayed there, so I am going on what I see from the office area, where I%26#39;ve done deliveries.





Malama Pono,



Janet




You mentioned the one thread on Poipu Sands #434. Do check with a search above for other reviews. They seem significantly different from the one opinion we saw here. You could probably get some contacts for referrals, if that is where you had been interested.





If you used that only as an example for booking through VRBO, do know that MANY have done it with excellent results - just be thorough in your research and get rferences with phone numbers!



One person%26#39;s disappointment is not a full story.




Actually the thread on Poipu Sands #434 wasn%26#39;t even listed on the website I have been looking at, so I assume we were dealing with different companies. (I have been on the Parrish collection website).



Thanks for your responses. I%26#39;m sure either of these properties will suit us just fine!




You misunderstood me. I was referring to the thread you had mentioned in your original post. It was TA.





Regardless, you will have excellent service with Parrish!




We only use Parrish while in Poipu. They have been excellent and we have been renting from them since 1990. Hubby goes 4 times a year on business; uses Parrish everytime.





Poipu Palms was a lovely unit and for a couple, it should be fine. I also love the pool right on the cliff. It just would not work for us since there are 4 of us so we opted for Poipu Sands through Parrish.





Take a look at the aerial views. That might help with your decision.





www.wizardpub.com/kauai/kauaerials.html




Good grief.. is that the BEST website ever? I love the internet for travel plans!! I remember 25 years ago when you just had to go there and hope for the best! Thank you so much for that link!




I would take a pass on Poipu Makai. We have stayed next door at the Makahuena and the Makai pool is almost non-existent...kinda like a hot tub size. The parking access is also quite tight. You would not believe it. Poipu palms has a better pool. The views are really unsurpassed, but there has to be more than that. There is something to be said for clean, cool and spacious



We always book a spot with air no matter what time of year, so neither property would be on our radar.




Both places are rated ';premier'; and are very nice. Also, being right on the ocean, you really do not need A/C. The ocean breezes and ceiling fans keep it nice and cool. I agree that the pool at Poipu Makai is very small (a lap pool) but the size of Poipu Palms is something to consider.




Being from Kansas, the ultimate goal for me is the view! Hubby just needs a pool to jump in and cool off, if he can do laps... that%26#39;s great, but we don%26#39;t need a large pool. I really appreciate everyone%26#39;s input! I learned about TA when I was planning my trip to Greece, and those folks were very helpful and nice too!



I will drink a Mai Tai in honor of TA%26#39;ers!

No comments:

Post a Comment