Thursday, April 1, 2010

Where can I swim/encounter dolphins

I will be in Hawaii for the first time ever with my BF first week in March! We both really want to be able to swim with dolphins. I have heard that some of the hotel options really aren%26#39;t worth your money...we are staying at the Moana Surfrider.





Anyone have any ideas? We%26#39;d love to get out and snorkel too if anyone knows a great spot or tour operator.





Thanks in advance!



Where can I swim/encounter dolphins


I%26#39;m sorry but your desire to swim with dolphins is a harassment of a protected species:





Please read this by NOAA, the agency in charge of enforcing the Marine Mammal Protection Act.





鈥oaa.gov/pr/education/protectdolphins.htm





The overview states:



';It is against the law to feed or harass wild dolphins. For the dolphins%26#39; sake, and for your safety, please DON%26#39;T FEED, SWIM WITH, OR HARASS WILD DOLPHINS. We encourage you to observe them from a distance of at least 50 yards.';





This is not an animal activists website; it%26#39;s a government page.



Swimming with dolphins causes great harm to the population.



Please don%26#39;t do it! It%26#39;s just wrong.



Where can I swim/encounter dolphins


For snorkeling on O`ahu you%26#39;ll want to go to Hanauma Bay. It%26#39;s an easy drive from Honolulu, and I believe there are also tours available if you prefer. I%26#39;ve also had decent snorkeling at the Makai Research Pier up on the east side, but I haven%26#39;t been there in years.




Hi, I must have been unclear before. I would never try to approach a wild dolphin in the ocean. I know that a lot of aquariums offer you the chance to assist the trainers in feeding the dolphins and getting close to them, while learning more about the animal. I am not familiar with the area and wanted advice on any aquariums that offer this.




We took our 3 kids to Sea Life Park (where they filmed 50 First Dates) to swim with the dolphins. They were totally amazed and came away from this beautiful experience with an even greater appreciation for these marvelous creatures. I only wished that my husband and I would have done it as well but it was very pricey.





Hanauma Bay is a must for the snorkeling experience. (You%26#39;ll actually pass Hanauma Bay on the way to Sea Life Park.) Go early and if at all possible - rent a car that day... you%26#39;ll see some of Hawaii%26#39;s most beautiful scenery if you hang a right when you come out of the park and follow the road down! I%26#39;ll bet you keep the car an extra day and head out that way again!!!



By the way... great hotel choice for your stay... ENJOY!!!!




You were not unclear. You can use either dolphin quest, which I prefer, or sea life park.





This is a sensitive topic for some but you have every right to have your question answered.





Have fun.




sorry I read it as an ocean swim because you mentioned you didn%26#39;t want the hotels and did want to snorkel, but now I see the snorkel was a whole separate outing.





Most people who want to do a captive dolphin swim here already know the two choices, so again I thought you wanted one of the wild dolphins swims.





The captive dolphin places are even worse for dolphins, but I didn%26#39;t know that until I read up on them. You seem like quite a caring person as you would not swim with wild dolphins. Here is one link on some of the ugly side of captive dolphin parks:





wspa-usa.org/pages/272_what_s_wrong_with_swi鈥?/a>





I imagine that in March Hanauma Bay will be one of your best shots for calm snorkel. Come to the Big Island for the best snorkel tours in the state!




very hot topic indeed





try these guys if you want a tour. They are terrific




oops forgot to cut and paste





http://sailhawaii.com/




I must confess myself that I would like to swim with the dolphins sometime. Thanks for the link flipper




I am guessing the overpriced one would be the one at the Kahala. Its a good place to go for a free look.

No comments:

Post a Comment