Thursday, April 1, 2010

The As We Go-Whenever I Can Get To it Trip Report - Day 2&3

Well after the hassles of our initial travel day getting here, the past two days have been relatively quiet. Just the way a Maui vacation should be.





Day 2: Woke up early (still on West Coast time) and sat on the lanai drinking coffee and quava juice and watched the sun come up over Napili Bay. Beautiful! The beach here took quite a beating from last months storms. High surf and high tide at the same time eroded quite a bit of the sand. The winter north swell is still in play. Soon the weather pattern will change and mother nature will put all that golden sand back.





After breakfast we went for a walk along the new Kapalua Coastal trail. Starts at the Kapalua Beach parking lot and goes all the way north to DT Flemming. Stunning walk that accesses some terrain on the beach side of the Villas that was inaccessible before. It%26#39;s a fairly flat walk and could be handled by almost anyone. The new Kapalua Residences complex is rather massive. Lot%26#39;s of feverish activity but doesn%26#39;t seem like it will be opening May 1 as someone had posted earlier. Think I%26#39;ll go in to the sales office later this week and get a tour. I imagine Kapalua Beach will become a much more crowded place when this complex fully opens.





After our walk we drove into Lahaina to find a bookstore. My wife didn%26#39;t bring anything with her and was going crazy without a book to read and sudoku puzzles to solve. I have all my reading on a Kindle so I offered up the requisite grumbling about leaving the beach and went along. Stopped at Fu Lins for lunch. Quite good and very inexpensive. Dinner was at the Seahouse - I had the Poha Berry Crusted Rack of Lamb...Excellent! My wife had Carmelize Scallops...just okay.





Day 3: Another breakfast on the lanai - never get tired of the view of Napili Bay. Then drove down the road to the Honokowai Farmer%26#39;s Market to pick up some fresh banana bread and produce. The rest of the day was spent working on the sunburn - er - tan on the beach and toasting another great sunset. It was a good day. However, my wife thinks there are altogether too many old European guys strutting around in speedos. Later I showed her Caddy%26#39;s avatar. I%26#39;ll refrain from posting her comments so this thread won%26#39;t get deleted.





More to come...



The As We Go-Whenever I Can Get To it Trip Report - Day 2%26amp;3


VC,



Thanks again for the trip report. I really enjoy your perspective. I know the time change can be a ';killer';. We are on Central time and I am not looking forward to that part of our trip trying to adjust, but a small price to pay for Paradise.





Enjoy your time there and get back to us when you can. Thanks again.



The As We Go-Whenever I Can Get To it Trip Report - Day 2%26amp;3


Sounds like my kind of trip-lots of relaxing and good food.




Aloha VC,



Thanks for reporting. I was trying to visualize how the new coastal trail was able to access Oneloa Bay. Does it cross in front of Coconut Grove and Ironwoods and above Oneloa or does it cross over the dunes on the beach? When it is complete, I heard it will be a walk/bike path. Did you notice many people using it? A nice addition to the area for sure, but I certainly understand the concern of the residents of Coconut Grove and Ironwoods for the loss of privacy.





Sounds like you are having the ';perfect'; Maui vacation, enjoy!




Mahalo for the %26#39;whenever%26#39; report. I see you are now on %26#39;island time%26#39;, and that%26#39;s a Good Thing.





Did Mrs. Snowbird find some interesting reading? I%26#39;ve just gotten around to ';The Given Day'; by Dennis Lehane -- 700 pages should hold me for a while.




V- sounds like you are having a great time! We will be on island Sat. and I want to do that Kapalua walk as well -thanks for the info. Is the weather just beautiful now?




I can feel the island just from your calm and lovely writing. Please continue (and I%26#39;m so glad days 2 and 3 were not repeats of your trip-yikes!)




VC, thanks again for reporting! I enjoyed your comments about the Napili Bay view, and the Kapalua Bay Coastal Trail. (I%26#39;ve been been on that path; usually staying in South Maui lately.)





Ok, don%26#39;t forget to report on how many lost balls on your round at Kapalua (Mercedes) alright?





Tell Ms. VC, that I%26#39;m not European and everyone knows, look stunning in a ';pink number';. (That avatar pic is not my best ';side'; you know!) LOL




Correction: I meant to type I%26#39;ve never been on that trail.

No comments:

Post a Comment