Thursday, April 1, 2010

Jeep or convertible

Does anyone have any thoughts on what type of car to rent in Maui? I am renting a convertible in Ohau, but thought I might need a car that is more rugged to take the road to hana in maui. I was thinking of a Jeep. Do you need ones in maui or would a convertible work just as well?



Jeep or convertible


Convertable works just fine. You don%26#39;t need a jeep for the road to Hana.



Jeep or convertible


You don%26#39;t need a Jeep on Maui. Are you familiar with them? Not the most comfortable, air-conditioned type ride. No trunk.





Convertibles scream TOURIST. Are you familiar with them? Teeny tiny trunks, so it%26#39;s doubtful that you will get much luggage in them. Issues with wind and sunburn. And, in my opinion, when you have the top up -- you can see as well around you. Are they trendy? yes.





We try to rent something close to what we drive at home. Vacation is not the ideal place to learn how to drive a different car.




%26lt;And, in my opinion, when you have the top up -- you can see as well around you.%26gt;





Oops! I meant you CAN%26#39;T see as well around you.




I completely agree with BLBL - we go with something as similar to what we drive at home. A Jeep is not needed - strictly a personal choice - most have had the 4wd disabled - suspension and seat comfort not the best and luggage storage limited. A Convertible, to me would be a pain.




';Convertibles scream TOURIST';





just curious, is there something wrong with being a tourist? I mean there is no way you will ever be mistaken for a native or local that I know of. Convertables are fun and you do have the option of top up or down...something you can%26#39;t do with a regular car (unless you have a blow torch). Jeeps on the other hand are a pain and not comfortable but they are rented a lot so to each their own I guess. As to the tiny trunk luggage question, once we arrive at our digs we no longer have a luggage issue, with just two people you have the whole back seat and if you do have the top up, there is plenty of trunk space.




I drive a 4door Jeep Wrangler at home for my everyday car, ( http://lh6.ggpht.com/_Ep01MeuwgNA/Sdg16EjdTRI/AAAAAAAAB3I/PIatbkYGKCs/s912/P1030507.JPG)





and the second my wife and I decided to go to Maui, i knew we had to rent a jeep there as well. Nothing could be better. While I will admit the older (06 and older TJ model Wranglers) we not that comfy, the new JK line (07 and younger) are MUCH more comfy, with power options finally and feel MUCH better on an every day road. Please dont let people persuade you against a jeep as being uncomfy and hard to drive, that simply isnt true. For refrence, I am 6%26#39;5 300lbs, and drive my jeep Everyday 40miles in and love it. I say rent a jeep in hawaii, its one of the atmospheres that they were made for in my eyes.




%26lt;';Convertibles scream TOURIST';



just curious, is there something wrong with being a tourist?%26gt;





Come on, Bill - you know me better than that. My point is that you may be targeted for theft. This point has been pointed out consistently. Then again, it%26#39;s probably easy to detect the rentals from the locals%26#39; cars anyway.




Just checking BLBL...and yes you can tell the local cars from the rentals in just about every case.




The convertable would have a trunk that you can lock things in or at least they would be out of view.




We always rent a convertible when at the beach... not sure why just seems to be the thing to do. We have rented one for our July trip to Maui. Who really cares if you look like a tourist..



We have two kids and we carry two big suitcases and carry on bags. We have to keep the top up from the airport to hotel to accomodate the suitcases. We also keep carry on bags in the front with us... but it really isn%26#39;t a problem. Once we have unloaded our suitcases into hotel, I just carry one large beach bag everywhere we go. I leave nothing in the car!!! If I ';have'; to, we will lock thinks in trunk (if we are all snorkeling in the water and can%26#39;t watch or hold our stuff). I have a waterproof dive bag to keep with me in the water for essentials (that if stolen, vacation would be ruined) like hubby%26#39;s wallet with cash and credit cards and car keys.





As for the jeep thing... we have had one before and really doesn%26#39;t work for us with the kids/ suitcases from the airport.





Go ahead and be a TOURIST... I vote you go for the convertible. You can get them for about the same rate as other cars.

No comments:

Post a Comment