Saturday, April 3, 2010

HHV or Moana Surfrider - Help?

Hello, we are arriving Saturday May 2nd in Oahu for 4 nights.





We would like a quiet room, nice beach/pool access during the day and access to outside resturants for the evening. Our goal is to relax and read books and swim during the day!





I would really appreciate any thoughts on comparing the Moana Surfrider versus the Hilton Hawaiian Village.





BTW - we are probably looking at HHV Ali Tower and the Moana Tower based on comments found here.





HHV or Moana Surfrider - Help?


These are two very different facilities.





HHV is a very large property with man-made (?) beach, restaurants, shops ... kinda amusement-parkish. Great for conventioners and families with kids. It%26#39;s a bit off the beaten path, not inthe heart of Waikiki. I have never eaten there, but posts generally agree that food it expensive. Pools are crowded (that can happen anywhere). Unless you want to walk into the main area of Waikiki, you are a bit of a captive audience. That%26#39;s how I felt.





The Moana Surfrider has at its base a 1901 restored building. Beautiful! The tower rooms are the best (newer and much larger). Large balconies. In the heart of Waikiki. Great location with easy access to restaurants and shops. We love the courtyard with the large banyan tree. Nice bar and food services with entertainment at night.





The resorts along the beach where the Moana Surfrider is located are scrunched together. It can get noisy from the beach and the street. The rooms in the Moana tower are amazingly soundproof. We were very impressed. But if you are thinking of (relatively) spacious grounds, consider the Royal Hawaiian or Halekulani, both in the same general vicinity.



HHV or Moana Surfrider - Help?


I would prefer the Maona anytime, I don%26#39;t care for the HHV mini city atmosphere at all. However so many of us here love the HHV.





When I am taking visitors to see the sights of Waikiki, the Moana is one of our stops because it is so beautiful. The HHV is not.





When celebrating a special occasion or group birthday - my friends and I go to the Moana for tea. It is really lovely!




Thanks for the replies above.





I hate to complicate this but would we be better off looking at the turtle bay hotel/resort on the north shore? I realize that is really isolated but the more I think about the trip I wonder if a little quiet / seclusion is what we really need.





Thanks again for any info.




No, Turtle Bay would NOT be a good alternative, Ko%26#39;Olina, maybe, but not Turtle Bay.





BLBL%26#39;s comments were spot on. If you don%26#39;t have tweens or teens the HHV is too big and Vegasy.





You also might look at the New Otani Kaimana, although they don%26#39;t have a pool, it is the quietest spot in the Waikiki area other than the Halekulani.




Take a look at Kahala. Gets great reviews. A little south of Waikiki. I wish I could go there! It might be perfect. Easy enough to get to Waikiki/Honolulu for dinner, shopping and activities, yet quiet and beautiful.





http://kahalaresort-px.trvlclick.com/




I love Turtle Bay and would stay there in a heartbeat. If you want to be near everything, I would second the Kahala.





Personally, I prefer the North Shore for vegging out, so Turtle Bay would work just fine for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment