Saturday, April 3, 2010

trip report Kipu falls and Queens Bath

Because of all the interest a week ago in these places when I inquired about them I thought I would give a here%26#39;s how it was for us when we went.





Kipu falls--nice walk to it.. as for being dangerous--I can see the danger, if you are really, really uncoordinated and careless. The rope is not easy to get to really and all we did was check the area. Nice to see and worth stopping by. Access to the bottom area is not easy. The walk to the falls is very easy, quick and nice.





Queens Bath--The walk is pretty fun and nice. Once again if you are below average in coordination this might be difficult or dangerous. We saw elderly people as well as those with infants doing this short hike to the bath. We got there midday and the surf was ok--the bath was beautiful. The waves tumble over the shore into the bath--I went right up to the ';mouth'; to feel what the current was like and when a wave came in it was minimal. I saw how it can be unnerving when a bigh wave comes in for people who are more timid of the water. The whole bath becomes like a crazy jacuzzi. You have to know yourself and wath the bath for awile to see how the largest wave interacts with area. All in all if you can do this it is very rewarding.





I imagine later in the day when the surf comes up the bath is not too accomodating. When the bif waves come in the bath gets all churned up and is not clear anyway.



trip report Kipu falls and Queens Bath


jodydelia: what were the conditions like when you were there? (Dry or wet?)





We experienced some hikes that I think would typically be considered mild to moderate, but were tricky at times because of very wet and slippery conditions.





I don%26#39;t consider us to be ';really really uncoordinated and careless'; - DH and I do alot of sports and so do our kids, including triathlons, and we%26#39;re always more cautious with the kids with us. And yet we had some slips.





My point is that conditions can change based on many factors, including the weather, and trails can be challenging even for coordinated and careful people.





I%26#39;m glad you enjoyed the hikes and I hope your entire trip was great. I appreciate the follow up to the thread, as it was clearly of interest to many people.



trip report Kipu falls and Queens Bath


It sounds like your approach to Queens Bath was much like mine. I only went so far, and just didn%26#39;t feel safe swimming in the bath itself, even though the conditions were extremely calm (mid morning, late August). It was beautiful though. I haven%26#39;t made it to Kipu Falls, and again, if I did go there I would probably have the same approach....watch from the ';sidelines'; and not go too far. I%26#39;m just super cautious. I wouldn%26#39;t call myself seriously uncoordinated, but I%26#39;m also no olympic athlete and pretty much know my limits.





Thanks for sharing this with us! :-)




Thanks for your report but we will stay away from both places. Heck, we have been going to Kauai for nearly 20 years and still have not been to Queen%26#39;s Bath and only poked our heads into Kipu Falls last summer. We have other places we like to visit.




Thanks for your reply.........Nice to see you were able to enjoy.




Yep. If you go when conditions are ok, odds are you%26#39;ll come back. Thousands of people go to these places every year and only 1 or 2 get badly hurt/die.





Just don%26#39;t kid yourself that you can%26#39;t be one of the unlucky ones especially if you chance it when the surf is up at QB or when the falls are gushing and the water is brown.




Thanks for the report.



Our hike was actually to the bottom of the falls. Did you see the area where Jurassic Park was filmed?




We did see jurassic park falls from the helio.



Martik--you should check QB just for the walk to it....maybe when you get to the ocean you don%26#39;t even go over to where the pool is but the little 10 minute walk(slightly steep) with it%26#39;s two ';baby falls'; is worth the trip.




I have to say, the hike down to QB is at least 50% of the experience, and in fact is a good hike in and of itself. Seeing and hearing that small waterfall along the trail was very nice. I%26#39;m not a heavy duty hiker, so seeing a waterfall was really a treat for me. To see most waterfalls close up, you really need to do some hiking.




For another side of QB take a look at this video.



Yes, these people were supreme idiots. But this video shows what can happen when a rogue wave hits. I give the Dad an F in parenthood for even letting his kid be there.







www.youtube.com/watch鈥?/a>




Great video--When we were there QB was like the bonus part of the video(clear) with a small wave popping in every few minutes--the area where the kids are at when they get washed in was not visible--it was full of water so no one was getting flushed. The waves were basically hitting the outside of the pool and splashing over.





Nobody was on the rope swing at Kipu when we were there.

No comments:

Post a Comment