Saturday, April 3, 2010

Trip to the Big Island

I%26#39;m going to be in Oahu for ten days, but I%26#39;d really like to see the volcanoes etc on the big island. Whats the best way to do this.



Trip to the Big Island


There are two ways if you are comfortable driving here then you can book a interisland flight and rent car to visit VNP or you can book a tour that icludes airfare and then you ride on a big tour bus. Look at Roberts Hawaii.



I would be more incined for the first option this way you can explore at your own pace but again depends on your comfort level with driving on the right side of the road.



Aloha Marie



Trip to the Big Island


Here is what we did a couple months ago and it was a blast. As I had a renral car on Oahu we just drove to Honolulu airport and parked at the Inter Island parking lot. Then jumped on a Hawaiin Flight at about 7am (was $39) each way. Flight took about 45 minutes to Hilo. We then picked up our rental car that I booked from Hawaiin Discount Car Rentals and drove to Ken%26#39;s House of Pancakes for a big Coconut pancake breakfast(about $8). I couldn%26#39;t even eat it all. I should point out we did this on a saturday in which Hilo has a farmers market so we stopped there for a while as we like to see local art among other things.





Then it was off to Volcano National Park for the rest of the day. Wished I had brought or bought a flashlight as I would have liked to walk through the unlit lava tubes, oh well. Then last we wanted to visit the Hawaii Tropical Botanical Gardens just north of Hilo, but we didn%26#39;t get there until 5 pm and thats when they close. It was still a very nice drive through the area.





Then we stopped for a quick supper and back to the airport for our 8pm flight. It seemed like most of Hilo shuts down around 6 pm or so so no need to take a late flight back.





Hope this helps you, but it sure brings back great memories. :-)




Cheers people, you%26#39;ve given me some great ideas.




....runner, my recommendation to you would be for you to go see your hotel conceirge for your trip to Hilo and the Volcano National Park.





Because interisland airfares can change daily, the up date of daily activities at Volcano National Park and much more activities to consider, the conceirge would be the best person to talk to. Conceirges will offer you options for your day on the Island of Hawaii.





Hope this helps ....




the air fare ia around $120 rt now to Hilo from Honolulu... rental car with gas about $80, Park entrance $10.





Commercial tours about $280.pp 12 hours




as I was saying, airfares can vary from day to day, hour to hour. I just booked a flight to Hilo for May 4th and I got two round trip air for $70.00 a person on Hawaiian Airlines.





Like I said, it does not hurt to go see the conceirge at your hotel.

No comments:

Post a Comment