Thursday, April 1, 2010

May Day is Lei Day - tomorrow!!



Aloha from Kaua%26#39;i!





Tomorrow is May 1st - which means that it is Lei Day all over the State of Hawai%26#39;i - plumerias and other lei flowers are picked out pretty much and almost everyone will be either wearing or giving (or both) a lei - a wonderful tradition!





Also on Saturday the Kaua%26#39;i Museum Lei Day Contest is going on - here is some info:





Ohana Day – 29th Annual May Day Festival



May 2, 2009



29th annual May Day Festival. Free Hawaiian entertainment, food booths, make-a-lei tent, lei auction and more on the Kauai Museum grounds. 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. Lei contest display in museum from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. with free admission. 2:30 p.m. silent lei auction, 3 p.m. lei auction. For more information please call (808) 245-6931.





I%26#39;m going to be working there all day - I guarantee I%26#39;m going to come away with a lei from the silent or live auction - incredible buys for some of the most unique and beautiful lei you have ever seen! I gave a school tour there today and everyone is gearing up for the big day at the Museum, believe me!





If you are here - give a lei and a honi (kiss) to someone you care about!





I was lucky enough last night at halau practice to have my b-day celebrated by the halau - I had about 5 plumeria lei and a puakenikeni lei given to me - I smelled wonderful - I did hemo all but one lei during the actual practice! Just before the wahine danced - we had cake and ice cream as well - now dancing right after cake and ice cream is a real treat, let me tell you! But it was a wonderful way to celebrate my birthday (my hubby was working :(



with my hula sisters and best friend - good fun but a sore opu!





Anyway - happy Lei Day to everyone in advance!





Malama Pono,



Janet



May Day is Lei Day - tomorrow!!


I had to laugh when I saw the post topic. We say a poem that goes:



First day of May, First day of May, Outdoor lovin%26#39; starts today! (Kind of a lei, isn%26#39;t it?)



Happy May Day!



May Day is Lei Day - tomorrow!!


Happy Lei Day to you too, Janet! I sent my mother (her name is Leilani) a ginger and red hibiscus lei when we returned to the mainland... an early gift to celebrate ';her'; day and Mother%26#39;s Day.





It was nice to see that on Kauai ';Lei Day'; is celebrated more... thoughfully? One of Mom%26#39;s questions was about the posters, I guess there were some pretty inappropriate ones (Lei/Lay) on Oahu when she was there last.





Hope the celebration is great, sorry we will miss it!

No comments:

Post a Comment