Monday, December 12, 2011

swine flu = Kauai instead! North or South Shore??

Aloha - looks like we are heading to Kauai instead of Mexico on May 16th - I really want to do snorkeling on the North Shore but from what Ive read Im thinking that it wont be that sunny this time of year. Is that correct? If we want more sun should we stay in the South Shore instead and then drive up North?





Im thinking either Hanelei Bay Colony Resort or Kuhio Shores??? Also, how close restaurants would be could also be a determining factor.





Thanks for any insights you can give me.



swine flu = Kauai instead! North or South Shore??


Although there are obviously no guarantees, the weather on the north shore in May is usually very nice. You will probably have some passing showers and maybe some rain at night, but that is why the north shore is so green and lush. But it%26#39;s unlikely you%26#39;ll have all-day downpours. But overall, the south shore will probably have more sun.





Not sure what you mean by ';Hanalei Bay Colony Resort';. There are two separate complexes - Hanalei Bay Resort is a condo unit in Princeville. You will be on a bluff above the ocean there, but you can either walk down to the beach or be shuttled down there. There are a few restaurants in Princeville, but you will probably want to drive to Hanalei for most of the best restaurants in the area (5-10 minute drive). The complex has a very nice pool.





Hanalei Colony Resort is in Haena - much more remote, but closer to the great north shore beaches like Tunnels and Ke%26#39;e. There is only 1 restaurant in the area - Mediterranean Gourmet - which is very good, along with a coffee shop and the Red Hot Momma%26#39;s burrito stand nearby. These units are very basic - no TV%26#39;s, phones, etc.





You might also consider a cottage/house in Hanalei, but at this late date, you might not be able to find much.



swine flu = Kauai instead! North or South Shore??


May is a great time of the year to visit the north sore of Kauai -- more sun, calmer waters and fewer crowds. However, you are really late in shopping for a good place to stay. I would recommend tht you look at Princeville condos - that%26#39;s where most vacation rentals are. Hanalei Bay Resort is quite nice. Pu%26#39;u Poa are very nice high end condos. Others that have units with great ocean views include Pali Ke Kua, Cliffs, Alii Kai, Sealodge.You can pay anywhere from $800 to around $2800 per week. I%26#39;d recommend that you try to nail down your logding ASAP.




May is lovely on any part of the island and I love Kuhio Shores if you decide on the South Shore. My vote is the North (I will be there until the 18th) but if you do stay at Kuhio plan on a few trips to the North for great snorkeling and fabulous beaches.



If you meant Hanalei Bay Resort here%26#39;s a link to private condos. Do not rent through the website of the resort. Trust me.



summitpacificinc.com/hanalei_bay_resort.html



You can also find great Kuhio Shore properties here.



If you meant Hanalei Colony Resort, that is located another 15-20 minutes from Princeville out in Haena. Right on the beach (can be rough), and is very low key. As others have said no phones, internet, TV. You are almost to the end of the island. There%26#39;s only one restaurant close by but Hanalei Town is just 10 minutes away. Not a big deal if you want to be more remote. Condos vary by owner so look for reviews on ones that people have rented. I%26#39;ve been in a few there and thought I was in a time warp.




Thanks everyone - looks like the North Shore is the place to be. Im sorry I mixed up my Hanalei resorts!!! I think the one I had been researching was the Hanalei Bay Resort - has the tropical pool right on the bay - huge resort - wish the restaurant was open!





I saw some last minute deals on Kuhio Shores at Poipu but I will need to check VRBO for the north shore Hanalei resort.





Thanks!




HBR pool has a lovely lagoon pool, tennis courts, barbeques etc. and it%26#39;s located ABOVE the bay. If you need help finding a nice place let me know. May is booking up fast but I know the nicer units since I own there and can help you find management companies to help you out. PM me. It%26#39;s also busy at HBR that week in May because all the owners go at that time. I%26#39;m happy to help if I can.



I feel terrible for people who have plans to go to Mexico on a cruise or tour. I wouldn%26#39;t set foot in that country and now more than ever. Even Cuba is canceling flights in and out of Mexico. Terrible.




May on the north shore is beginning to see the better weather there. That said, there%26#39;s still a good chance you%26#39;d see better weather on the south shore in May. Now if you were talking July or August I might not be as cautious.



If you choose the north shore, HBR is a great place. A couple of hikes down the hills to some good snorkeling, and short drives to some great north shore beaches. I would choose HBR over Hanalei Colony Resort since you say you want to be close to restaurants.



If you choose the south shore, there are many places besides Kuhio Shores, which wouldn%26#39;t be my first choice. It sits right on the water with great views from all rooms but the property itself is a drab concrete block wedged in between the water and the road. A small rocky beach with great snorkeling just minutes away, walking.



I%26#39;d recommend you look at Kiahuna Plantation on the south shore also. Over 35 acres of beautifully landscaped grounds, low rise Hawaiian plantation style buildings scattered throughout and sitting directly on a good swimming beach with snorkeling just another five minutes walk down the beach. Lots of shops, restaurants, in walking distance. Kiahuna shopping village across the street. Only drawback is the pool - it%26#39;s also across the street. But the beach is the main attraction here.



If you had a crystal ball and knew for sure what the north shore weather would be like I%26#39;d say head north. In the absence many people elect to stay south and drive up north on good days. The beauty of the north shore should not be missed.



I don%26#39;t want to rain on your parade. But I sense that if your original trip was planned for Mexico, in May, you are most likely looking for as much sun and warmth. If I%26#39;m wrong, go North.




Have a great trip JacarandaSpirit. I am also from Los Angeles area but not going to Kauai until September.





Leaving Monday for Akumal (Quintana Roo, south of Playa del Carmen). Not gonna let any flu thingy get in between me and my margaritas.





Have only been once in May, long time ago, but it was real nice, only had a bit of rain one day.




Good for you 55. I hope you have a great time. So far, there have been no confirmed cases of swine flu in either Playa del Carmen or Akumal. Have a margarita for me at the Buena Vida!




Yep - its tough to know what to do - we havent cancelled Mexico yet and we are scheduled to go to Cozumel and then to the Barcelo resort in Puerto Adventuras near Akumel. Since there are no reported cases of swine flu in that area are we being silly by not just going there???? How much at risk are we really??? Especially when you consider that the flu has already spread to California and we may be just as likely to come into contact with it here.





For ease and cost it would be great to just continue on to Mexico - we just arent sure if that%26#39;s a smart thing to do!!!???





So, all I know is that Im going on vacation somewhere tropical on May 16th - could be Mexico, Hawaii or somewhere else in the Caribbean!!!! We are trying to make a final decision in the next few days.





Thanks for all the input!!!




We were scheduled to go to Tulum and Cancun leaving on 5/5 and returning on 5/17. It was a very hard decision, but in the end, today we decided to postpone our trip to Mexico until November and go to Kauai now instead. I love both places, so I know I will enjoy my vacation in Kauai just as much as in Mexico.

No comments:

Post a Comment