Monday, December 12, 2011

Road to Hana

My wife to be %26amp; I are taking our Honeymoon to Maui in May. I know we want to do the Road to Hana, but do should we drive it ourselves or pay for a tour company? I know it%26#39;s really overpriced, but i%26#39;m just worried that with just the 2 of us, I%26#39;m gonna be the only driver and i might miss the whole thing. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!



Road to Hana


Congratulations..you will love Maui.



I can%26#39;t image taking a tour van. Traveling speed will be about 15 to 20 mph. Drive, stop look, drive, stop look, ...



Order JC Derrick%26#39;s book Mile by Mile. Great Hana dirve book.



You might want to stop a Garden of Eden. Don%26#39;t miss stopping and having a picnic at Waianapanapa State Park (Black Sand Beach)



You will not be able to drive pass Hana to Oheo Gulch.The road will be closed May 5th for three weeks to repair a bridge.



Road to Hana


Personal preference and you will not see as much as the passenger. There are many pullouts along the road and you just need to be relaxed enough to use them. The tour will have a canned routine and you are at their mercy. I would drive it myself.




I don%26#39;t think you%26#39;ll miss the whole thing as a driver, because much of the scenery is very close to the road. Overall, driving speed is slow, and as others have mentioned, there are plenty of pullouts. I%26#39;d be leery of a tour because there%26#39;s the chance that you get stuck in a car with a bunch of weirdos for several hours.





Here%26#39;s my best advice for you - when you see something interesting, just pull over. Tell your wife that when she sees something interesting, she should just say ';pull over'; (calmly!) without saying why. If you go into a discussion of whether or not you both think something is interesting enough to warrant pulling over for, it will be too late. We had about three episodes like this:





';Hey, that looks cool!';



';What?';



';That, over there!';



';Oh, cool, do you want to pull over?';



';Well, if you%26#39;d like to, we just saw a waterfall a few miles back';



';Oh, but I think I see an orchid over...



';Oops, too late, there it goes.';





before we realized that over-discussing every stop was going to lead to us never stopping at all! THAT%26#39;S how you miss the whole thing.





There%26#39;s actually a too-recent-to-be-funny story about my in-laws driving a scenic route in 2 hours without stopping because they couldn%26#39;t agree whether they both wanted to pull over anywhere. That particular drive usually takes me and my husband all day. :)





Have fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment